Topband: Monster Loop Summary

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Monster Loop Summary
From: "WS6X" <ws6x@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:04:40 -0800
>From Ed - AI7H, I received favorable comments about a delta design that
looks to be exactly the same as the W2UP loop in my original request for
comparison information. Details at:
http://www.ok1rr.com/view.php?cisloclanku=2004122905
Several commented that the Monster would not be useful as a DX antenna for
160M because of its omni-directional elevation pattern. While this might be
useful to null a single noise source, since it does not discriminate against
high angle signals, it would be only mediocre in low angle signal pick up.
If I were to rank the various designs by comments I received, it would
appear that a point-fed pennant would be my first choice, the flag second,
closely followed by the delta design.
After carefully weighing the various options, I've decide to try a rotating
flag. Hopefully I'll be able to use the standard 14' X 29' dimensions, but
may be forced to a half-sized version.
One big factor in my choice of the flag is the unexpected encouragement I
received from a nearby DXer who used a rotating flag for a few years and
still has much of the hardware. He is willing to part with these goodies at
a very attractive price -- I drive to his place and haul them away! Thanks,
Ron - K6UR!
Thanks again for the many comments, words of advice, and encouragement. Even
though I've "little pistol-ed" my way around 160M for many years, I'm new to
this reflector. From the courtesy and kindness I've received so far, it
appears 160 is still The Gentleman's Band.
73,
Jim - WS6X