Re: Topband: WB4ENE Antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: WB4ENE Antenna
From: David Gilbert <rimradio@direcway.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:49:26 -0700

wa4fki wrote:

>This antenna is totally different than what we run and may be a NEW concept in
>160 meter antennas...

I have to admit that WB4ENE put an impressive amount of aluminum into
that ambitious antenna, but no matter how well he reduced the losses in
the materials it is still basically a very short vertical/counterpoise
that is dependent upon ground conditions for radiation efficiency.  It
isn't a new concept, only an old one carried to an extreme.  I'd bet
that almost any well-built top-loaded short vertical with a moderate
radial system would beat the pants off it for DX in an A vs B test.

That being said, it certainly doesn't LOOK like a typical ham antenna
and I'll bet the local homeowner's association wouldn't catch on to it  ;)

Dave  AB7E