Topband: Inverted "L" Transmitting Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inverted "L" Transmitting Antennas
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:21:35 -0500
Well, just as G3XAP says in the "HF ANTENNA COLLECTION" book published by the
RSGB, I too, "...found from bitter experience that the difference between a 40
ft. and a 60 ft. vertical on 160 can be quite colossal!"

In my instance, the difference in vertical heights here --- "before & after"
re-locating my "L" for the better part of the day yesterday --- was some 42'
("...before") vs. some 70' ("...after")...and WHAT adifference it made, too,
performance-wise...

Last night in casual operating I worked CO8, PJ2, LY3, OM2, SM5, HA9, OM5, OH2,
and DJ0. I have NEVER done that before with the "truncated" L that I was using.
The REAL icing on the cake, however, happened this morning, when I worked KL7C,
for my final State in 160-meter WAS!

I've come to the conclusion that a limited-height "L" WILL get you results as
you add more radials, but then that's it --- for the NEXT level of performance,
you simply have to increase the vertical portion of the antenna. I think it may
have helped in my case, too, that the "L" is elevated by virtue of a tree now
--- before, the vertical wire ran up parallel to a self-supporting steel tower,
with a separation of only a couple of feet...

The 200' feet of coax feeder hasn't seemed to deterred the signal to any degree
--- I expected it would have, because the length increased by a factor of 20
over the previous installation. This couldn't be helped, due to the geography
of my property...

See you in the pile-ups...!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ