Topband: "Uncle" Beverage

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: "Uncle" Beverage
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 06:51:29 -0500
Hi Bill,

K3SV wrote:

 >not terminate the thing to begin with, hoping to maybe hear more
signals than just the EU direction.

 >The signal to noise is not good. I can hear signals but most DX is
covered with noise. How can I eliminate the noise? Will grounding the
far end help? I did not want to add the resistor, thinking it would
narrow the range too much.

         You're contradicting yourself.  You want to "reduce noise"
but you also want to "cover more directions".  That means you will
also receive noise from more directions.  You cannot have it both
ways (good S/N and bidirectional).  An unterminated Beverage has
a figure-8 pattern.  Terminate it with non-inductive 470 ohms and
check several frequencies with your analyzer to verify SWR does not
swing widely.  If this doesn't help, you may have a different problem.

                                         73 & GL!

                                         Bill  W4ZV