Topband: "Uncle" Beverage Update

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: "Uncle" Beverage Update
From: "Bill G. K3SV" <k3sv@direcway.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:42:38 -0500
Thanks for all of the responses. I have since put a 500 ohm resistor and
a 5 ft ground rod at the far end of the 500 ft beverage, and as
described in my original note, fed with 75 ohm RG6 into a binocular core
transformer. The result is less noise and readable signals from the
desired direction, not ear pounding signals but they are in there. I
still need to check my ground at the feed point, it's only a 3 ft ground
rod. I have also put up a 250 ft wire pointed approx 150 degrees,
another 500 ohm resistor and 5 ft ground rod. So far it is pretty deaf,
although I haven't checked to make sure I don't have a bad connection
out at the feed point. The net is that things are improving. I'm also
not sure of the impact of putting a "50 ohm", shack-tested, system out
in the woods and feeding it with 200 to 500 feet of 75 ohm RG6.  73 Bill
K3SV