Topband: Conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Conditions
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:04:32 -0500
Well, I must say, I've been having an absolute riot here on the band of late,
ever since I re-located the inverted "L"...

I know it's not much to the big shooters on 160, but if I can snag a couple of
DX QSOs & put them in the log each & every night, I'm a happy camper --- after
all, "...Quantity has a quality all its own." Hi Hi

Never would have even considered moving the "L", were it not for the insight
offered by use here of the K9AY loop --- its inventor should have been the
recepient of some Nobel prize, or other, by now, for bestowing such a wonderful
hearing aid onto the masses...!

There were mis-givings after moving the "L" about the rather inordinately LONG
feedline needed to couple it to the shack --- 200+ feet as compared to the
original 15', or so --- but any & all such doubts were quickly dispelled after
only the first 24 hours of operation. If you feel your inverted "L" set-up has
just about reached its limit of effectiveness (and you've about reached your
limit of tolerance as to the tedium of laying down yet more ground radials!),
AND you have an opportunity to extend the height of your existing "L" by moving
it to a more fortuitous location, I say "Go for it" --- and go for it quickly.

At this QTH, it was the next step that needed to be taken to improve the
station's effectiveness...it's STILL not perfect, but it's certainly a good
notch better than before!

See you in the pile-ups...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ