Re: Topband: 1820.4 carrier

To: jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 1820.4 carrier
From: George Johnson <w1zt@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:58:45 -0500
To follow up today on John's report,

At 10:16 AM 12/9/2005, John Kaufmann wrote:
>I listened this morning around 1300Z, about one hour after sunrise, and
>there was absolutely no QSB on the signal here in FN42gk (about 25 mi west
>of Boston).    This suggests the source is within ground wave distance of
>my QTH.  Before sunrise there was a small amount of QSB, indicative of a
>mix of ground wave and sky wave.  The signal was S9++ on the Orion S-meter.
>
>The direction appears to be N to NNE.  I don't have a N Beverage but I do
>have 1-wavelength Beverages at 45, 90, 135, 225, 270, and 315 degrees.  It
>is strongest on the 45 degree Beverage, but there is a pronounced null on
>the E and W Beverages, which suggests a northerly heading for the signal.
>
>73, John W1FV

At 1845z I am getting a steady signal NW of my location FN42nn (15 mi north
of Boston).  It is local ground wave with no QSB at present.  I'm using a
K9AY loop setup and the signal peaks significantly on the NE loop.  I am on
the ocean north of Boston (Beverly MA) so this direction is inland from me
towards NH.  It seems like it must between W1FV and I but further north.
73, George .. W1ZT