Topband: More on Dirty Harry and the DX window

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: More on Dirty Harry and the DX window
From: Steve Ireland <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:31:49 +0800
G'day

The responses to my email have been quite interesting,  Firstly I should
say that I am (more than) half serious and should probably explain a bit more.

In radio contests, almost no one ever gets disqualified for bad behaviour
despite there being rules against bad behaviour - which is hopeless as
consequently the people who break the rules don't respect them.

In mainstream amateur and professional sports, people break the rules
(sometimes accidentally) and (still) get disqualified.  This is regarded as
an occupational hazard.  Getting disqualified (of course) doesn't
necessarily mean that the disqualifee is a bad person - they just broke the
rules and got 'pinged' /disqualified for it.  End of story.

Let's both give the rules some teeth - and not regard disqualification as
such a heinous crime.  At worst, some of those who operate in the DX window
when they shouldn't commit a 'professional foul' (in mainstream sport
terms).   We can still like them and respect them,  but they should be
penalised so that they take care not to do it again next year.

I guess sometimes you just have to put your trust in someone as a
cop/referee - of course, it would be up to individual contest organisers to
decide who they want as their enforcers (sorry, referees!) - it is their
call.

I guess it comes down to treating contests in a similar manner to
mainstream sports - and think this is worth a try.  However, it would take
a big change in attitude towards how disqualification is regarded, both by
participants and organisers, of amateur radio contests.

Merry Christmas to all on the reflector.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ