Topband: Robert Tail Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Robert Tail Antenna
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:39:23 -0500
Good Morning All,

Well, I spent the better part of the late morning/early afternoon yesterday
casting a discarded window crank(!) weight off of my '78 Trans Am into a tree
of choice, with my Zebco 33 spincast rod & reel...when I was finished, I
ended-up with a second inverted "L" antenna here, spaced 1/2-wavelength from
the first, and phased in the style of the Robert Tail Array (see "ARRL ANTENNA
COMPENDIUM", volume 2).

The results of this adventure in the snow out back were apparently well worth
the effort...whether the bulk of the credit goes to conditions, or to the added
element, is a matter of debate, but when the dust settled down early this
morning, here's what 2+ hours of hunting & pecking on the band yielded me in
terms of QSOs:

DL2MDZ, LY2ZZ, PJ2/WB9Z, DL5RBW, S59A, IV3PRK, OM5RW, T77C, OE2BZL, DL7ZZ,
OK2ZV, LA5HE, SM4CAN, OZ1DD, SM7GIB, F6ACD, G3JMJ, G3XGC, G4BYG, CT1FJK,
LA5LJA, G3ITH. and VK6ABL...

Many thanks to all who took the time to work me...

The array is oriented north-south, beaming a bi-directional east-west pattern.
The beauty of the system is its simplicity: NO long runs of coaxial cable
phasing line to both elements, and NO elabortate ground radial system need
under the second element.

I shall continue evaluating.

I always wondered how a three element classic Bobtail array might play on
160-meters --- this is about as close as I've managed to get (so far!).

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ