Topband: ft1000mp mkv key click mod

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: ft1000mp mkv key click mod
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:40:56 -0500
G3ROO:

 >I came to the same conclusion from the W8JI site when I was endevouring to
fix a friends set....

 >Is there another mod on the web....... I've heard that it can be fixed.

         If I am not mistaken, I believe all FT-1000MP's are basically
the same.  I think the MP mod on Tom's site also applies to the Mark V and
Field.  Inrad also offers a mod for the MP family:

Yaesu FT-1000MP / Mark V / Mark V Field Keying Improvement
The MP keying rise time is 2.4 mS and fall time is 1.0 mS. The fall
time is responsible for the somewhat wide signal, which the MP
generates on CW. There are two points in the radio which can be used
to improve the keying by slowing the voltage change over from receive
to transmit and back.

Three parts are added to the radio. Two go on the IF board and one
goes on the RF board. They are small leaded parts which solder on the
bottom side of the boards. Board drawings are supplied which show the
part locations. The IF board is fairly easy to get at. The RF board
is buried under the final amplifier and is somewhat difficult to get
at. Estimated time to install is 1 hour.

For actual spectral data on the keying improvement made by this mod,
click below:

http://www.qth.com/inrad/about-key-clicks.pdf

Price: $15 plus shipping & handling. See our Secure Order Form to order.

         If my memory is correct, Yaesu implemented Inrad's
mod in all MP's after about August 2004 (or 2003?)  Tom's
own site says his MP mod takes it from being one of the
worst to one of the best, so I am not sure why he is so
negative on the Mark V unless there were some circuitry
changes from the original MP to the Mark V and Field.  Inrad's
mod makes me think not.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV