Topband: Noise ID

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Noise ID
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 06:18:01 -0500
N6TR wrote:
 >Most likely is an electric fence, but I have never heard one sound like
this.

<http://www.kkn.net/%7Etree/NWNoise.wav>http://www.kkn.net/~tree/NWNoise.wav

         That is an older style electric fence.
They have a relatively slow duty cycle usinga relay to cycle
low-current high-voltage
60 Hz on and off.

         I had literally hundreds of electric
fences surrounding my 40 acres in Colorado
in the 80's.  Most of the fencers then were
this style rather than modern solid-state
units which generate a high energy pulse and
sound like "tick-tick-tick".  Noise blankers
are quite effective for the newer type and they
didn't bother me nearly as much as the older
style.  The ticking sound also didn't bother
my hearing as much as slow cycling 60 Hz noise.

         Noise blankers are useless for the
older fencers and you must find and fix
them to eliminate the noise.  Fortunately
there are not many of this style around any
longer because they are the worst type to
deal with (inside the shack).

                                 73 & HNY All!

                                 Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  Very happy to be away from horse country
where everyone with >2 acres had a small arena
surrounded with an electric fence!