Re: Topband: shunt fed tower - question?

To: "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: shunt fed tower - question?
From: herbs@surfvi.com
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:15:16 -0400
Quoting "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>:

> I am using a shunt fed Rohn 45 tower for topband. Presently I have one #12
> copper wire 24" from one corner of the tower as the shunt. I would like to
> try to increase the bandwidth. 1.Make a cage of wires.

Yes indeed Tony...the cage feed will increase the BW significantly.  An
easy way
to make a cage is to just drop wire from the towers top guy wires using
insulators. (The top guys are insulated and connect near the point were the
cage wires (in my case #6 bare copper are connected.)  This way you can get a
good spacing (I use 24 inches from the face of the tower) without mechanical
arms to worry about.  I use insulators and turnbuckles at the bottom the cage
wires are all connected together with a single.  The tension applied at the
bottom will reduce tuning changes due to wind on the wires. The cage wires are
only connected here on the top and bottom but I have seen some cages with
circumference wires every 10 to 20 feet.  I can't seen how this changes
anything
worth the effort.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ