Topband: Strange conditions

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Strange conditions
From: "robert briggs" <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:06:00 +1100
The past two days conditions on 160 really stagger the mind.Yesterday morning I
had a run on Europe for 1 hour solid working 28 stations.
The most notable contact was with Marco OH3XR.He called me with 5 watts at
1835Z and we exchanged 559 reports.At 1845Z he called me again using OH3Y using
1 watt.I gave him 449 although I added a K to the end of the callsign.He
reported me 579.The band continued to improve with many EU stations worked 579
to 599.This continued until 1935Z, about 20 minutes after sunrise
This morning I started at 1815Z and called CQ for an hour without hearing one
EU station.I tried both antennas Vert and Hor.
Last night after sunset the band was good into the Pacific and USA with many JA
and US stations heard.
I take very little notice of the WWV forecasts these days for Topband work and
I think Topband does the same.I have noted that I am receiving most stronger on
my inverted V at present than on verticals.
Ah well,I guess it's an education although I havn't really learned anything in
27 years of continuous 160 work to give sage council.
Total EU since Nov 25 243 worked.
73s Bob VK3ZL.