Re: Topband: Bailing twine and guy stuff like that

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>,"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bailing twine and guy stuff like that
From: "Brad Rehm" <brehm@ptitest.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:02:36 -0600
> I'd really be a little reluctant to use materials not known
> to survive a long time in UV exposure. I'm pretty sure they
> do not put UV inhibitors in bailing twine. I'm certain they
> don't put it in the stuff around here.
>
> 73 Tom

>> The baler twine around here is definitely UV stabilized, according
>> to the manufacturers, hence the orange color.  Bridon's web
>> site also shows photodegradable baler twine that is designed
>> to fall apart.  Baler twine does far better than oridinary plastic rope
>> exposed to the sun, although it doesn't last forever.

>> Rick N6RK

Rick & Tom,

Ditto.  All of the baling twine I found in the selection of 7 or 8 types
available at our local TSC were advertised as UV-resistant.  Although, the
"literature" on the boxes suggested some of these might be better than
others.  There's also a spread in the prices of the various kinds, and this
might indicate differences in quality.  Remember that many ranchers leave
some of their round and square bales in their fields for full seasons.  This
stuff can't come apart when it sees a little sunshine or rain.

I used two strands for each guy at each of three guy levels.  The antenna
has been up in the Texas sun for about six months.  The twine looked about
as good as the sheltered twine in the box in our garage.  I wouldn't
recommend it for a 20-year antenna, but for quick tests and seasonal
antennas, it's hard to beat.

73,
Brad, KV5V