Re: Topband: Split frequency working

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Split frequency working
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:53:13 -0500

After hearing some recordings of our PJ2T European pileups
recorded from the European side during CQWW CW, I'm
wondering whether I should set my reservations aside and
try split operation during contests, at least part of the
time. As with US pileups, stations continue calling when
they should be listening, and repeats are way too common
for best efficiency.

During non-contest periods, it's a no brainer - once the
pileup reaches a certain size, everyone benefits from
split operation.

With stations packed as tight as they are during the
upcoming CQWW 160 CW, I'm not at all sure it's practical
to use two frequencies at a time, and I know it wouldn't
be popular among others trying to carve out a little free
space on the band for their own pileup!

The alternative I'm trying from my end is to tack the call
of the station I'm calling to the end of each exchange as
well as to the beginning of the exchange during European
pileups.

73,  Jeff  K8ND
(To be PJ2T in CQWW 160 CW, January 28-29)