Re: Topband: K9AY loop still not working right,everything checked out OK

To: flood@ixi.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY loop still not working right,everything checked out OK tho...
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:37:31 EST

In a message dated 1/12/2006 6:28:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,  flood@ixi.net
writes:

-----  Original Message -----
From: "K9AY" >

> You can get some  sense of the local conditions by walking around your
> property with a  portable AM radio tuned to a fairly weak station high in
> band -- its  loopstick will couple to objects as you approach them (within
> few feet), increasing the noise and signal levels.  >

If the problem is fundementally a very strong and very local noise source,
which is about the norm for QTH's like this, and there is no feed system
problems, the only option would be to use a noise nuller like the MFJ  unit.
In
fact I can't see how any suburban 160 user can be without one.  For those
suburban/densely populated QTH the more antenna/noise solution tools  the
better but
I'd bet the nuller will go a long way in this  situation...