Re: Topband: 1/4, 1/2 or 5/8 vertical summery

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 1/4, 1/2 or 5/8 vertical summery
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:33:12 +0000
What if you used a balloon or kite to elevate a LONG vertical wire, fed
end-fed zepp fashion.  The total height would be one wavelength or
preferably more, with the top half wavelength a single wire, and the rest,
balanced open-wire tuned feeder.

With the bottom end of the vertical half-wave higher off the ground, the
ground loss would be reduced (not totally eliminated).  The old pre-WW2
zepplin airships used a similar antenna trailing off the end of the craft.
A modified version has been a popular method for feeding a horizontal
halfwave, used by amateurs for decades.

I have seen descriptions of the antennas used at WWV, which are vertically
oriented, halfwave centre-fed dipoles mounted on wooden utility poles.  I
have never seen any mention of what kind of ground plane, if any, is used
with those antennas at WWV.  Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Don K4KYV

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/