Topband: Aluminium antenna wire

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Aluminium antenna wire
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:42:03 -0500
WB2QLL:
 >I have some concern about the ability of the aluminum to handle flexing
since but I imagine it's designed to handle movement to some degree,
since an electric shock won't stop the occasional ox from walking into
it.

         You're correct that Al does not handle flexing
as well as copper.  You must be especially careful not to
kink it.  I use it only for Beverages in the open which
are not subject to much stress other than occasional ice
I expected stress.  The advantage for Beverages is that
the weight per unit length is very low so you need very
few supports if you stretch it tightly.

 >Connecting to aluminum is problematic...
 >I also used screw type connectors...

         For my Beverages I use standard screw connectors
with a dab of NoAlox inside.  Since I reinstall this
particular system each season over an agricultural field,
I'm not sure about longevity but it's OK for one season.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV
                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV