Re: Topband: CQ 160M Contest and a question about shunt feeding

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160M Contest and a question about shunt feeding
From: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:11:28 -0600
> I don't think there has ever been anything that indicates
> even 5dB on transmitting makes a difference in winning or
> losing unless you are often near noise floor level when
> other stations hear you.
>
> 73 Tom

It was just a little joke regarding the 1.5 dB in making the difference in
my winning - like I am trying to get any little edge I can.....  There are
several factors at play here including his young ears, my 40 year mental
database, his relative ability to listen to 2 radios at once, who has a good
frequency, etc.

HOWEVER,  over the next year I am going to put up a 3 element vertical array
using parasitic elements switchable in four directions in an effort to get
perhaps 4-5 dB ONLY FOR TRANSMIT at my station.  I do not expect it to help
me much if any on receive as I have beverages that seem to work quite well.
They are certainly more effective on 80M than my transmitting four square.

The key to what you mentioned above is, "unless you are near the noice floor
level when other stations hear you."   I believe the difference in how
effectively you will run Europe from Arkansas on 160M will in many cases be
affected GREATLY by an S unit difference on transmit.  In fact, there is no
question that it would make a significant difference in how many will call
and how fast you get through a pileup.   There is a certainly a great
difference on other bands in how effectively you are able to hold a
frequency and run Europe (like 40M where I am also listening on beverages)
when you compare a dipole and a 3 element yagi with perhaps an S unit of
gain.

The station where I will operate this contest has phased beverages for
Europe and JA, so there isn't going to be a lot of improvement on the
receive end over the next week.

Stan, K5GO