Topband: CQWW 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQWW 160
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:01:48 -0600
I'm sure we are all hoping for continued good conditions for the contest
this weekend. In looking over the list of planned operations by some very
rare entities, it is apparent that not all of the juicy operations will be
able to operate within the traditional DX window for one reason or another.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but there are three basic types of
participants in contests; (1) the avid contester, trying to win something,
(2) the casual contester, having a leisure fun time giving out Q's, and
adding to his new country/zone totals, and (3) those who are just interested
in snagging a "new one" for his log.

I suggest that groups 2 and 3 out-number group 1. 2 and 3 may not
necessarily know or abide by the contest rules, gentleman's agreements, etc.
but they will be there in force, pounding away.

It would be so nice to see everyone respecting the DX window; not crowding
the edges, allowing clicks and other garbage to narrow down an already small
portion of the playing field. It would also be nice to show respect for all
participants by giving the rare DX who are not operating within the window a
little headroom so that everyone can get a shot without CQ'ers crowding
their frequency. By just asking QRL? before taking a spot for CQ'ing, a lot
of the problems will be eliminated. Someone listening to the rare one on
frequency will tell you about it.

There is a possibility of 21 new countries for me this week-end, and I'm
sure many of you share this situation. We need to ask ourselves what is more
important, a couple of points in the contest, or a once-in-a-lifetime
opportunity to confirm a new country/zone?

Good luck, and good hunting to all!

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC