Re: Topband: CQ 160 WW experience

To: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 WW experience
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:31:19 -0500
At 08:58 AM 1/31/06, you wrote:
> My TT Orion allows me to hear weak signals with the big guns
>only 100 hz or so away.  Without that tool I am sure I too would have
>had a frustrating experience.  It was fun.  73 bob de w9ge

On Saturday night I took some time out from CQing to slowly tune the whole band
in search-and-pounce mode, bottom to top, a number of times. I was using my
FT1000MP, with the Inrad roofing filter, and the pair of 250 hz Inrad IF
filters were switched in. The phased Beverages were toward Europe, of course,
and I was looking to add as many 10-pointers as possible. Every turn of the
dial found another DX station wedged in tightly between -- or directly under --
some USA station calling CQ, oblivious to the DX beneath. A quick call, a reply
from the DX and I'd be tuning the dial up for the next one with the stateside
station wondering what was going on. Many of the stateside stations thought I
must be calling them, and sent me a report. Usually these were dupes anyway,
but in a few cases they were new calls so I was able to simultaneously log both
stations -- DX and stateside. This went on all the way up to 1890 kHz or a bit
higher. If I couldn't work the DX with a call or two, i
 t went into the band map in NA for a return try later. A number of the mults
took repeated attempts till the propagation peaked -- or their QRM subsided --
and we made the QSO.

73/Jon AA1K
www.aa1k.us