Re: Topband: 160 FROM GUANTANAMO BAY CUBA

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 FROM GUANTANAMO BAY CUBA
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:18:38 EST
In a message dated 2/2/2006 10:22:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, n4baa@cox.net
writes:

>>On the Antenna analyzer they ALL looked good!!!  ARGHhhhhhhhhhhhh

Setup was same as I have here in VA...which does well....came home with
same materail on Tuesday....reinstalled them on Wednesday...
Everything fine!....<<

You should have brought some VA soil :-)

Looks like ground had to do a lot with it. Not familair with soil there, but
it could be that coral looks like mineral with high conductivity, or insulator
(?) with salt water soaked area underneath.

In situation like this and access to good ground (salt waterfront) it is far
better to use verticals and vertical arrays on the beach. There you take
advantage of good ground and it is a killer. (See Team Vertical experiences)

Also half slopers work very well, I used it at C6AYB from the hotel balcony
and it beat LP world record, but not D4B :-)

73 and CU in the next one!

Yuri