Re: Topband: Beverage Lightning Damage

To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>,"Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Lightning Damage
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 17:37:58 -0500
          You're changing the topic (enamel
> scratches) but I disconnect my Beverage
> wires with relays when lighting is near.
> I've never lost a transformer although
> I've had both small reed relays and the
> termination resistors completely explode.

I never do anything with mine, but I use a bit heavier wire
and have close spark gaps across the secondary and from
secondary to the ground side of the primary. Some of the
gaps look pretty bad after a few years.

I lose maybe one or two transformers a year and my area gets
hit by lighting several times a year.

I use metal composition resistors and haven't had one change
value yet, although I've got a few with the outer coating
burned off.

73 Tom