Re: Topband: RF - Safety Distance for a Top-Band Antenna installation

To: "Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RF - Safety Distance for a Top-Band Antenna installation
From: "Greg - ZL3IX" <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 06:11:31 +1300

> Hi,
> I am living in a two story building and I am wondering if the installation
> of a vertical antenna for top-band at the roof top (actually it's a flat
> roof) using 1 Kw could be unsafe for the people living in the 2nd floor
> due RF.

I would not think that it would be unsafe Javier.  The safe field strength
at 2 MHz is 60 V/m.  You could put the antenna up, measure the field
strength using a lower power, then make your conclusion about what it would
be at higher powers.

A far more likely problem is that you will cause problems with telephones
and other electronic equipment.

73, Greg, ZL3IX