Re: Topband: 4 square k9ay for 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 4 square k9ay for 160m
From: Bogdan Chorążyk <sp3rbr@wp.pl>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:27:17 +0100
> I found some very interesting stuff about the use of a 4
square k9ay by the
> SP3KEY club.
> Unfortunatly only partial information.

>That name is very misleading. It is not a four square. It is
>simply two K9AY's that are crossed.
>A four square means all for elements are active in an array
>at the same time, and they all contribute to pattern.

>This is like calling a 1WL horizontal loop a Rhombic.

>73 Tom

Hi Tom,

Referring to your comments concerning our 4 square K9AY array for 160 meters
please find my response as below:
That system has been designed and successfully tested at SP3KEY Contest
Station more than one year ago.
As you suppose, there are (of course!!) 4 K9AY set-ups mounted at the
corners of quarter-wave square. Each of K9AY has its own directivity and
SP3RBR designed Phasing System gather all of 4 K9AY to operate as one
directional system. Therefore, such directional system offers fantastic
directivity on Receive Side, not only on 160 meters band, but quite good
directivity in case of 80 / 75 meters band (which has been not expected at
the designing stage but directivity is quite remarkable on that band also).
That directional system has been successfully tested (on-field) at about 20
QTHs including Big Guns like SP2FAX and SP3GEM.

Actually there is Polish language description on SP3KEY Web-site. The idea
of operation is shown on respective figures. I hope - it is understatble,
despite Polish language descriptions. During coming days Polish description
will be translated into English and put on SP3KEY Web-site:
(http://sp3key.com/klub/k9ay_pro/index.html)

Summarizing:
You are completely wrong with your statement:
"That name is very misleading. It is not a four square. It is simply two
K9AY's that are crossed".
Please look at SP3KEY Web-site first and make your comments next (the
opposite direction does not work).

You are right writing:
"A four square means all for elements are active in an array at the same
time, and they all contribute to pattern".
Of coures, that is the case!

You are completely wrong with your final statement:
"This is like calling a 1WL horizontal loop a Rhombic."

73,
Bogdan SP3RBR