Re: Topband: Testing RX Antennas "Out of Season"

To: n0jk@hotmail.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Testing RX Antennas "Out of Season"
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:02:47 EST

In a message dated 3/17/2006 8:46:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
n0jk@hotmail.com writes:

Using  the expanded AM BCB to test and optimize your 160M receive antenna is
a  great idea. I used it at HC8N a few years ago (could receive many USA
stations on the NA Beverage).

A list of expanded AM band  stations:    http://www.am-dx.com/fcclist.htm

During the day  one of the "low power AM stations" may be useful in adjusting
your  antennas.

I suggested the same to Eric direct.  In my case I also use a FT817  QRP rig
right out at the antenna. In the case of a flag I can rotate it and  validate
it's azimuthal pattern and check the relative depth of the  nulls.   I also
use WWV at 2.5 and CHU at 3.33 - one being W and the  other NNW.  The Flags and
Pennants are of course "wide band" up to 10  meters (and beyond) and the
directivity and gain not too different at 3 Mhz than  1.8.  The advantage of
the
2.5Mhz WWV from here (NNJ) is that it's skywave  and if I can also hear WWVH it
helps with understanding a little bit of the  vertical directivity.