Topband: ty aftermath

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: ty aftermath
From: W7lr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:14:25 EST
It is frustrating to think about ty on 160m.  There was only one west  coast
night - all other nights they qrt before our sunset.That one  night signals
were fair but the spotlight of propagation was on AZ and CA,  and not on OR or
MT.  You can say it was poor luck, poor operating, poor  station, or whatever.
Tree, N6TR/7 and I are not big guns (like N7UA N7JW W5UN  W6RJ - but I admire
them and would do the same thing if I could) but given a  chance we do pretty
well.  This season I have worked TZ TR 9G5 all s7 to  s9; and FT5XO A45 3V8
HB0 in the s6 range, with legal power, usually a single  vertical, and a few
small rx antennas.  The frustration comes from two  points of view - one, not
having much chance (whine) and the other is to read  about the glorious
contacts
with s9+ signals, using qrp or wet noodles, etc -  but all in favorable
spotlight areas.  On the chance thing, one night out  of two weeks doesn't seem
like
much of an interest in 160. For example, the  TZ crew was on almost every
night, all night.  I shouldn't judge as I don't  know their circumstances.  I
know their QRN was bad.  But if they can  work west coast one night, it could
be
on other nights too.  Or get up  early before sunrise - often the band is dead
to Europe or Africa all evening  but comes alive at their sunrise. They
are/were very good operators, and I  appreciate all their efforts.  Just a
disappointed 160er. I hope other  dxpeditioners read this.
73 Bob W7LR