Topband: Simplified LOTW instructions in response to many requests

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Simplified LOTW instructions in response to many requests
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:37:03 -0800
Simplified Logbook of The World (LOTW) instructions.
Total working time under an hour.

        By Rick Karlquist N6RK

First 12 steps you only do once.

Steps 1-6, <15 minutes

1.  Create directory My Documents/lotw.

2.  Go to
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/trustedqsl/tqsl-111.exe?download
and download Trusted QSL program to My Documents/lotw directory.

3.  Start/Run/My Documents/lotw/tqsl-111.exe to install program.  Delete
tqsl-111.exe.

4.  Start/Programs/TQSLcert.  Menu: File/New Certificate Request. Wizard
starts

5.  Fill in your call, DXCC entity, QSO begin date, leave end date blank,
name and
address as shown on FCC license and email address.  Leave password blank.
QSO
begin date is when you got on the air from your current QTH.  (You can do
other QTH's later).

6.  Save .tq5 file to lotw directory and email as an attachment to
lotw-logs@arrl.org.

7.  Wait a few days for postcard from ARRL (USA stations only).

Step 8, < 5 minutes

8.  Go to https://pk1.arrl.org/lotw/password and enter your call and number
on postcard.
Note "https" not "http" (USA stations only)

9.  Wait for email from ARRL.

Steps 10-12, < 15 minutes

10. Open email from ARRL and save attached .tq6 file in lotw directory.
Go to https://pk1.arrl.org/lotwuser/default and type in the password
included in
the text of the email.  Click on "Your Account" then "Change Password"
and change the password to something you can remember.  Delete the ARRL
email,
delete <your call>.tq5, and throw away the postcard.

11.  Start/Programs/TQSLcert.  Menu:  File/Load Certificate File.  Check
TQSL.  Open
My Documents/lotw/<your call>.tq6.  Exit program.

12.  Start/Programs/TQSL.  Menu: Station/Add Location.  Wizard starts.  Fill
in info
on your current QTH.  (You can do other QTH's later).

Each time you want to submit logs to LOTW (< 10 minutes, mostly waiting
time):

A.  Export ADIF or Cabrillo file from logging program to My
Documents/lotw/<filename>.adi
B.  Start/Programs/TQSL/File/SignExistingADIFOrCabrilloFile.
Open My Documents/lotw/<filename>.adi.  Save to My
Documents/lotw/<filename>.tq8
C.  Email <filename>.tq8 to lotw-logs@arrl.org.

Wait about 4 hours for email from ARRL saying your log was received.
Then go to https://pk1.arrl.org/lotwuser/default and click on
"Your QSO's" to see how many QSLs you got.