Topband: split versus zero-beat

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: split versus zero-beat
From: df2py@t-online.de (Dr .Wolf Ostwald)
Date: 16 Apr 2006 11:42 GMT
Hello reflectees !
I encountered a situation this a.m. on 160, which repeats itself so very often,
that i feel it necessary to be improved.
We had a stn from HK-Land calling CQ and lsn zero-beat. A multitude of EU stns
was calling and many of them exceeded the agreeable 2 to max 3 times giving the
callsign by far. This resulted in nobody hearing anything and nobody working
the Dx stn as well as a frustrated DX stn. Surely newcomers to 160, especially
those from thinly populated countries, cant imagine what the band sounds like
in densely populated areas, whenever a DX comes up.
There is only two cures to that : Advice to newies from DX countries to work
split and callers from other areas should limit themselves to a maximum of 3
calls and then " LISTEN ! "
Endless calling without listening is not necessarily improving things. I hope
this is not understood as "teaching people" but i guess sometimes it ought to
be repeated, at least for a few amongst the ranks.
73 and best DX   de wolf  df2py