Topband: Coil position

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Coil position
From: "Rick N6PE" <n6pe@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 10:08:33 -0700
Something someone said the other day about a top loading coil on a vertical
acting like a mobile antenna raises a question.

We have all seen the theory and computer program calculations telling us top
My question is, given a 32 foot support, has anyone run any on the air tests
comparing a base loaded 32' vertical with one that has the coil 6-10 feet from
the top end?

The top coil has to be larger in uh (and probably loss) than say a big fat base
coil made out of 1/4" copper tubing.

Is there any "real world" detectable difference in signal level ?

I'd be real interested in hearing from anyone that has done any actual on air
tests.
I've run all the EZNEC charts and have seen all the articles in QST etc.

I suppose the next question is would it than be better to eliminate the coil
and use 4 top wires to load the vertical?

Thanks,

Rick Darwicki  -= N6PE =-