Re: Topband: QST Jun 06 RX Loop

To: "Topband Reflector (E-mail)" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QST Jun 06 RX Loop
From: "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:48:25 +0200
I wrote:

> Could it be that my co-ax loop is rejecting something in its very near
> field,(the TV of my neighbour that I suspect is about 10 meters
> away from my
> RX antennas!)or is it a case of unbalance in the Flag
> antennas,(that would
> make sense)I do not have to rotate the loop to get rid of the
> offending noise, it simply is not there!I also tried K9AY (various
> ones) with the same
> problem as the flags.
>
> 73
> Raoul Coetzee
> ZS1REC

Yuri'answer:(part of it)
YES Raoul,

the shielded or coax loop is providing electrostatic field shielding from
the near by interference by its virtue of capacitance of the shield to the
ground.  Shield is a shield and NOT an antenna as W8JI claims, otherwise you
would not see the effect (signal is a signal he claims).
The point is that those properties of shielding the ANTENNA inside the
electrostatic shield are only noticeable when the antenna is close to the
interference source.
Thank you for providing unsolicited proof of performance and function of the
shield!

73  Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU

Yuri,
I only use the loop as I am not succesfull in getting the other RX antennas
to work,I still think that there may be common mode noise problems at my
station wich I have to investigate.And if I had the space, then I would have
used Beverages or arrays,that'for sure.
My question was not intended as proof of anything but rather to improve my
own knowledge! :)
73
Raoul ZS1REC