Re: Topband: burying radials

To: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: burying radials
From: Roy Morgan <roy.morgan@nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:09:23 -0400
At 02:07 PM 8/8/2006, Ford Peterson wrote:
...fabricate a small wooden block in a wedge-like shape. ...  It's a bunch
of work on hands and knees.

Ford,

It seems to me that you could arrange a pole or handle of some sort on that
block to let you push it through the grass while standing up.

At last weekend's hamfest, I could have bought what seemed to be a home
made plow. It had two handles a bit like a baby strollef, two wheels and
one blade that went down into the dirt behind the wheels.  I've seen
similar things uses as a weeder/tiller.  See this ebay item for a good idea
of what I'm talking about.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/1940s-VICTORY-GARDEN-HAND-PLOW-TILLER-Columbus-Ohio_W0QQitemZ170010699331QQcmdZViewItem>

Notice that the handle bar in this one is quite close to directly over the
tiller teeth. This means that if you have to lean on the thing, the force
will go pretty directly to the teeth.  If you remove all but one tooth and
add a tube  to feed the wire out behind the tooth, it seems to me that the
whole thing would work well.  The roll of wire could ride near the handles
and add weight to it.

Roy

- Roy Morgan, K1LKY since 1959 - Keep 'em Glowing!
NEW: 13033 Downey Mill Road
Lovettsville, VA 20180
Phone 540-822-5911
Cell 301-928-7794
Work: Voice: 301-975-3254,  Fax: 301-975-6097
roy.morgan@nist.gov --

Old address: 7130 Panorama Drive, Derwood MD 20855
Home: 301-330-8828