Re: Topband: Elevated Radials - W5UN's take

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials - W5UN's take
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 07:15:18 -0400
> W8LRL's 3/8 vertical with 360 3/8 radials at his QTH seems
> to perform as good as 4 sq at low angles.
> We will run some tests between his "standard" and various
> configurations at our Ocean Gate N2EE QTH.
> I am looking forward to play with some designs there,
> taking advantage of salty marshes.

I wonder how can that be?

Everything known to man shows that with around 50 or 60 1/4
wave radials over any type of soil a system is out at the
very top of efficiency curves. Any Marconi vertical system
on any soil has reached well into the 90% range with just 50
or 60 radials.

A four square has 5-7dB gain over a single vertical of the
same construction.

I can't understand that unless someone has 400% antenna
efficiency. How would that happen?

73 Tom