Re: Topband: (no subject)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: (no subject)
From: F3WT <ars.f3wt@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:43:04 +0200
Hi all, Hi  Bjoern (  SM0MDG)

> I have been tossing around different ideas for a top band TX
> antenna this
> winter to replace my inverted L. My highest support is currently 12
> meter
> and I have a limited lot which restricts guying and ground wires

I have mounted Cornelius's 15M pole with 2 Delta-loops  allmost in
parallel ...  Well  not quite: ... the 4 wires drop down from the
apex  topping 22M high   to form  sort of a pyramid with base 35M
long each up abt 7M. This is  for the WAE contest going on right now.
So far made all my US contacts with my Orion tuned with a Balun
feeding the bottom of each with only  25W . This night I will see how
it works on 80M and 160M. For the latter ( topband) I will use the 2
deltas switched in 2 turns " windings".

But will tell you more how  the new vertical arrangement  goes.

ps

> very close to water in favourable directions, not very salty but
> better than
> nothing (the Baltic Sea) .

This very very fortunate for low angle , low loss,  topband
propagation. I live in town!
Even though  on 160M I made QSO this winter  with 5 to 10W to Norway
one morning at dawn  with a simpler horizontal batterfly loop
arrangement . Top band  is magic sometimes !  It will be  much more
so with you, Bjoern close to the sea!  Its salt will more than
suffice! hi!

> Yesterday I got a message from Cornelius Paul DF4SA announcing his
> new 18
> meter fibreglass pole and I immediately started thinking about a
> higher
> support for my antenna. Any ideas what to do with a 18 meter/60ft
> pole like
> this in my situation?
I am happy with his 15M pole so far. Needs only  to be seriously
taped at each segment  to tighten  further  all telescopic joints to
avoid collapse over time in fixed rather than  mobile  set-ups.

> 73 de Bj?rn /SM0MDG

73
Pierre.
F3WT