Topband: Fibreglass poles

To: <w2pm@aol.com>
Subject: Topband: Fibreglass poles
From: <doktorij@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:05:13 -0400
I have stacked these as tall as 44' (ten sections) with help. They were guyed
at the top and about mid way. I used them to support a 40M half Square. They
stayed put until a tree came down on the half square and a few of the sections
splintered.

Withnthat thought in mind, the coating on them is not super weather worthy. I'd
suggest a good flat black paint (auto store stuff that binds to plastic) to
provide some UV protection. After a year in the air, mine had all sorts of
fibre exposed making it uncomfortable to handle without gloves.

I was able to walk seven sections up alone and tie the guys off, anything
taller is very flexible and better done with two or more folks.  Also, I
drilled and tapped holes for screws to keep the sections together (particularly
for erecting it) It may have been overkill, but I felt more comfortable with
that configuration.

They should work well for a K9AY antenna.

74,
Julius
n2wn