Re: Topband: Term. resistance and location of K9AY

To: <armin.ficza@nokia.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Term. resistance and location of K9AY
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 11:16:54 -0500
 > First of can I use metal or carbon film resistors, or it has to be
> composite type? ( same as beverages)
>
> My second question is about the location. My problem is, that my QTH is
> very sloping abt 30% degree. I have a small creek in the bottom, and
> then small hill , abt 4 meters height. Same on another site. Next to the
> creek (at very bottom) I have space for K9AY loop. Is that a good
> position? What happens, if I install it to the sloping part of the
> property?
> Thanks,
> ZL1KMN
________

The smaller size of the loop will collect less transient energy, so a film
resistor will last much longer than with a Beverage. I haven't blown mine in
several years of operation, but that's just luck. Nearby lightning -- and
sometimes high power RF -- can damage both the terminating resistor and the
matching transformer, as with any receive antenna.

As far as slope, the antenna will still work on a hillside or in a valley --
ALL signals, transmit or receive, are subject to the effects of terrain. A
location high and clear is certainly best, but sometimes we must accept what
is available to us! The antenna is small enough to move easily, so you can
try another location if the first one does seem to work well.

73, Gary
K9AY