Topband: Better Use of RG-6 Coaxial Cable...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Better Use of RG-6 Coaxial Cable...
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:17:35 -0500
On 14th September Tom said...

> By the way on 160, 80, and 40 meters RG6 will easily handle
> 1500 watts in free air. I use it for dipole feedlines on
> occasion to save weight.

I wish I had photocopied the piece for future reference, but in the column
"The Doctor Is In" for the February 2005 issue of QST, the author
specifically referenced using satellite TV-type coax (RG-6) for
transmitting --- as I recall, he also described a way(s) to securely attach
a PL-259 plug to the cable ends, utilizing (if I remember correctly) a
combination of friction-fit backed by epoxy glue...

The point of it is, 99% of the communications I've received from fellows
commenting on my original posting of using RG-6 in Ham applications were
limited strictly to receiving tasks...coupling to Beverages, K9AY loops, &
the like. Tom, however, has indicated --- together with the QST author ---
that RG-6 need NOT be limited to this type of use alone...

...And that's certainly good news here, because this type of coaxial cable
is, without a doubt, the absolute biggest bargain going in this part of the
world...as it is, I'm sure, elsewhere in North America, too, where the boom
in home entertainment devices & hardware shows no signs of slowing down
anytime soon...

I can hardly wait to test-run my "new & improved" antenna system!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ