Re: Topband: Sharing radials??

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Sharing radials??
From: <k2kw-8@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 8:38:13 -0700
As the purpose of radials is to minimize current into the ground, a neighboring
radial system will help.

I saw this when doing some work at K6KM's QTH.  We had an elevated 80m wire
half wave vertical hung off one tower, with no ground screen.  It heard well,
but didn't transmit well as compared to a reference dipole.

I then tried to shunt feed another tower on 160m about 130' away.  We had laid
36 radials around the shunt fed tower, and the tips of the 160m radials just
reached the bottom of the 80m half wave vertical.  These radials were in no way
connected to the 80m vertical as the 80m wire terminated about 4' above the
ground.  The 80m vertical now transmitted MUCH better, and you could also tell
the RX performance improved too (as compared to a reference dipole).

73, Kenny K2KW