Re: Topband: Radial system gain

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radial system gain
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:12:01 -0400
Aren't all these figures ground wave? That's quite useful for
broadcasters, as that's where the consumer radios are, but do we know
by measurement of some kind what the results would be at even 5
degrees, so we are not dealing with any possible ground proximity
effect that does not map to the useful (for us) skywave?

I once took FS measurements at descending altitudes around WCPE-FM in
a helicopter while the pilot used altimeter and GPS to get us in plot
positions. This was to see what kind of interaction we were getting
from the tower structure and a side-mounted antenna. There was
interaction and it was plottable, and was responsible for some of our
medium to far coverage reception issues. I was never able to come up
with a model that came close to generating the measured values.

Anyone ever do that or something similar with 160 or high broadcast
verticals to see if the modeled efficiencies hold for skywave? I doubt
the broadcasters would give a hoot. In the end, advertisers are paying
for the ground wave.

Guy.