Topband: Radials Again

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Radials Again
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 04:38:56 -0700 (PDT)
RE elevated radials needing to be a significant fraction of lambda above
ground:  Suggest you read Les Moxon's book "HF Antennas for all locations" for
a discussion of this...
I tend to avoid the battles about elevated radials becasue what I see is mostly
religious fervor, not empirical results... I will comment that I was one of the
few stations to work Heard Island on 160 from the northern tier of the USA, mid
Michigan...  This was done with 8 elevated radials, head high, and a leaning
vertical...  A later discussion with the ops was that my signal was Q5 in the
midst of a general broken buzzing of unreadable calls from other stations...
Just luck, or the elevated radials?

denny / k8do