Re: Topband: Ground Radials Yet Again

To: "Ian Keyser" <ian.keyser@btopenworld.com>, <W2pm@aol.com>,<gswynar@durham.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Radials Yet Again
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:26:16 -0400
> Well, that is how I think of it.... the point is that the
> short radials make the aerial work.... larger, and I mean
> LARGE, bring the angle of radiation down.....

Large would be pretty long.

The area that affects loss at low wave angles is maybe one
wave or so out to several wavelengths. As a matter of fact
we don't really change the low angle signal until radials
are at least one wave long. We might make things 1/2 dB
better at 5 degrees with a few hundred 600-foot long
radials. To be effective the radials would have to be fairly
close spaced at the widest point, maybe a dozen feet apart
or so maximum spacing. Placing radials out to a half mile or
more and keeping them 12 feet apart at the open ends would
be a heap of wire!

That is why no one bothers worrying about extra length to
modify gain at low wave angles.  It would be cheaper to just
move to a salt water marsh.

73 Tom