Topband: K9AY Rcv Array

To: "Top Band" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY Rcv Array
From: "Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)" <w5uc@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:27:59 -0500
Good Evening All:

Today I finally completed construction on a K9AY receiving array. After
listening for a while this evening, I determined that a signal has to be in
the S9 to 20 over range to be able to hear it on the array on 160. I have
adequate noise in the Rcvr, but signals are very weak. The S/N noise is poor
on 160.  I have disconnected the tuning network on the inverted L. That
doesn't appear to be a problem. It(the K9Ay array9 works well on 10 mHz and
has beautiful directivity.  It also works well with good directivity on 206
kHz, although I don't have a resonant antenna on 10 mHz or 206 kHz to
compare it with. I know all of the switching stuff works ok, and that
apparently leaves only one item to suspect; The Xfrmr.  I freely admit that
I don't understand multi-filar windings, don't like multi-filar windings,
don't want anything to do with multi-filar windings, and believe that the
individual who first thought them up played a cruel joke on the world of
electronics.  I really have no confidence that I built the Xfrmr correctly.

As I look at this Xfrmr, I wonder why an auto Xfrmr wouldn't do the same
job. 20 turns on a core tapped at 5 turns; i.e., 3:1 turns ratio.

I welcome any suggestions.

73,

Mike

http://members.cox.net/w5uc/