Topband: SS CW Activity Period

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: SS CW Activity Period
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:57:42 -0800
Okay - most of you know I am nuts - and now I will prove it to the rest of
you.

Those not in W/VE can delete this message.

This next weekend is the SS CW contest.  This contests runs from 2100Z on
Saturday until 0300Z Monday morning (10 PM EST).

I do the log checking for this contest - and occasionally, I see some 160
meter QSOs in the logs - but never very many.

With us at the sunspot minimum - I think it is time that we tried to
encourage some more activity on topband.  It would even be better if this
activity was timed in such a way that when you tuned down there, you would
actually find people to work.

Since you can only QSO a station once - there isn't a requirement to spend
time on topband (like in the NAQP).  But, what if you knew you would find
perhaps Montana, North Dakota, VE1, KL7 or even a KV4 there?  Maybe that
would entice more people to show up.

So - what say?  Would you be willing to get on and give the deserving some
QSOs in the SS CW?  Maybe at 0200Z on "Monday" (one hour before the end of
the contest?).  Many of the big guns are very hungry for contacts and can
tune down to 160 with their "second" radio.  If you are calling CQ and are
fresh meat - you will probably enjoy feeling like DX.

In order to not QRM the DXers, we should stay down near the bottom of the
band (1800-1820).

We used to have set times for 160 operation in the old CD Parties - and it
was fun to see how many guys you could work on the band.  This would also
be a good opportunity for those still chasing states to get a few rare ones.

If you need information on the contest format, you can find the rules here:

http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2006/novss.html

So - pass the word - 0200Z on "Monday" (9 PM EST on Sunday)...  1800-1820 kHz.

73 Tree N6TR/7