Topband: LORAN still on 160?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: LORAN still on 160?
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 04:43:03 +0000

From: "wa4fki" <wa4fki@nc.rr.com>

Please remember 160 meters is a shared band, the amateurs share this band with other services.

In Region 3, the Loran system operates either on 1850 kHz or 1950 kHz, the bands occupied being 1825-1875 kHz and 1925-­1975 kHz respectively. Other services to which the band 1800-2000 kHz is allocated may use any frequency therein on condition that no harmful interference is caused to the Loran system operating on 1850 kHz or 1950 kHz.

Interesting...

I thought 160m LORAN had been phased out worldwide some 20 years ago, as a result of WARC-79.

Has anyone heard the Region 3 LORAN signals anywhere in N. America recently? I haven't heard a trace of a LORAN signal on the band since some time before the 1900-2000 segment was fully restored to US amateurs in the mid-80's.

In any case, I would think GPS would have by now rendered both radiolocation and radionavigation services on these frequencies obsolete. A little handheld unit with comparable accuracy and precision is certainly much cheaper and more convenient to operate than installing 2-mHz transmitting and receiving equipment on land and on board ships and planes.

I still hear a half-dozen or so radiolocation beacons in the space between the expanded AM broadcast band and 160 m. I recall in the mid 80's 1700-1800 mHz being tightly packed with beacons as soon as the sun went down.

Don k4kyv

Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us