Topband: re Need Ideas on 160M Antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: re Need Ideas on 160M Antenna
From: telegrapher9@aol.com
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:31:18 -0500
Mike,

you didn't say how tall your tower is but I will assume it is 70'. A quarter
wavelength inverted-L would be great on 160 meters. The radiation resistance is
22 ohms and the pattern is omnidirectional.The wire runs up the side of the
grounded tower and is spaced 2'. If this is modeled without the tower then
things don't look good on 80 meters. This tower height has a huge effect on 80
meters. Of course the tower could be decoupled but that is another
complication.

To accurately model this situation we need more data on the tower. The height,
the width, and what antenna is on top. I can then run models of various
antennas for you. Shunt feeding or cage feeding the tower is always and option
and those can be modeled too.

I like your plan of using wire, the tower, and the trees. And I assume you
would like to feed the antenna on both bands using coax and run a good tuner in
the shack. I think we can come up with something that will do that without too
much trouble.

   Dave WX7G