Topband: "The Dry Look"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: "The Dry Look"
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:36:20 -0500
Good Afternoon All,

Last week, whilst fine-tuning the series mounted air-variable capacitor in one
of my inverted "L's" outside, I noticed the tell-tale signs of moisture
condensation inside the "Folger's Coffee" plastic container that I use to
protect the cap from the elements...

I pondered the purchase of some silica salt (you know the stuff I mean --- it's
that "sand" they place inside those small tea  bag-like pouches that you always
find whenever opening-up a box of any newly acquired imported electronic
doo-dad), but I wasn't exactly sure where one might find such a thing...

...Suddenly --- ever-resourceful (and newly-retired, a.k.a. "cheap"!) Radio
Amateur that I am --- it dawned on me that a handful of raw rice sprinkled
inside the container might do the job of "moisture magnet" for me, and do it
for free, to boot.

Restaurants are known to mix grains of rice with the salt in their table
dispensers to keep moisture from "clumping" the salt grains...so why not try it
here?

I'll shall dutifully keep the group abreast of devlopments(!) in this
regard...meanwhile, the 3-element triangular phased "L" array is coming along
very nicely, and exhibiting some rather pronounced directional effects during
the course of casual on-the-air tests I've been making with co-operative
Amateurs...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ