Re: Topband: 33', 50',60' inverted "L" comparison assistance request

To: "k3hx@juno.com" <k3hx@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 33', 50',60' inverted "L" comparison assistance request
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:19:07 -0800
At 05:47 PM 2006-11-23, k3hx@juno.com wrote:
>In preparation for the upcoming 160 meter contest, I'm trying to
>decide if it is worth the effort to increase the support height
>of the vertical portion of an inverted "L".
>
>My ground resistance is estimated to be 17 ohms and this is about as
>low as I can go given the limitations of my property.  Estimate based
>on ON4UN's book data.
>
>I'd be grateful if someone more computer-literate than I could
>determine the dB loss compared to a "ideal" full 1/4 wave vertical
>for each of the following cases.  Assume whatever toploading is
>required is acomplished by the horizontal portion of the inverted "L."
>
>Case 1:  Vertical portion 33' tall
>Case 2:  Vertical portion 50' tall
>Case 3:  Vertical portion 60' tall

Tim,
I ran these in EZNEC with #14 copper wire over Mininec ground with 17
ohms in the ground lead.  Note that "Z" includes the 17
ohms.  Lengths are resonant at 1.83 MHz.  1:1 SWR referenced to
feedpoint Z.  Max gain is in the direction away from the horizontal
wire open end.

N.B. Using Mininec ground may overestimate the gain, especially for case 1.

Up   Out       Z    Gain, dBi   Gain@20*  F/B@20*  BW 2:1  GndLoss
  33  101.7   25.4  -2.3@35*  -2.9 dBi     2.7 dB      70 kHz    4.8 dB
  50    84.7   32.0  -1.3@29*  -1.6 dBi     1.5 dB      90 kHz    3.3 dB
  60    74.6   36.1  -1.0@27*  -1.2 dBi     1.1 dB     100 kHz   2.8 dB