Re: Topband: Twin Lead (Speaker Wire) Loss?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Twin Lead (Speaker Wire) Loss?
From: Telegrapher9@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:42:50 EST
Speaker wire and AC line cord (zip cord) are close to 100 ohms. The ARRL ran
some loss tests on zip cord 10-15 years ago and reported fairly high losses.
On top band RX this should not be an issue.

The loss can be measured using a network analyzer. If you need the loss
measured I can do this for you.

I would recommend RG-174 coax. It is small, light, and inexpensive. The
center conductor is, I think, #26 wire. It has polyethylene insulation. It is
available at Digikey.com.

RG-178 or RG-179 are better (lighter, stronger) but run about $1 a foot. They
are Teflon cables.

     Dave WX7G