Re: Topband: Antenna Analyzer

To: "George Wallner" <gwallner@the-beach.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna Analyzer
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:43:39 -0800
From: "George Wallner" <gwallner@the-beach.net>

>I just got an AEA VIA (antenna) analyzer to "calibrate" some of my
>modeling.
> My 21 meter tall vertical is picking up a lot of signals (especially AM
> BC)
> that swamp the SWR and R/X readings, especially at 1.8MHz.
>
> Is there a good solution for this problem? (Other than filters.)
>
> I am surprised that the instrument only has a 5dBm output, when a decent
> size antenna in an urban environment could pick up several dBm worth of
> signals. (The AEA VIA seems to work great for everything else; but not for
> antennas...)
>
> TKS,
>
> George
> AA7JV

If you are lucky, George, the BC stations causing you interference
will reduce power at sunset. That's the way it is here at my QTH.
After sunrise, I have to use the BC notch filter accessory with my
MFJ-269 to get a good reading on my 160 antenna (the notch
accessory is not needed at night). BTW, the MFJ BC notch filter
accessory should work with your AEA analyzer provided that you
can come up with a way to look at field strength (for adjusting the
the notch position). This function is built into the MFJ-269 (frequency
counter mode). Dunno if the AEA has an analagous function.