Topband: WWII Transatlantic Communication

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: WWII Transatlantic Communication
From: "Herb Schoenbohm" <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 09:15:30 -0400
This is a bit off topic unless of course frequencies near 160 meters were used.
 But since I do not know I am asking.

I recently heard on CSPAN  an account of the beginning of the era of broadcast
journalism with recordings of the live reports that Edward R. Morrow did from
London during the Blitz. I presume these signals were carried out of London on
a phone line to powerful transmitters in the country and the transmissions
picked up somewhere on the East Coast and relayed to CBS MCR on Manhattan.  One
thing left out of the accounts was the available technology at the time to make
this all happen. KV4FC, Dave Voorhees who moved to his retirement home in the
VI in the 60's was an engineer at CBS at the time.  Unfortunately I never asked
him about the details on how this was all possible and with such good and
remarkable audio clarity. Since static crashes were frequently heard I am
quessing the frequecies were somewhere between 1.7 and 5 Mhz.

If any topbander knows where I can get more on the technical end of  how CBS
brought these broadcasts into the living rooms across America back then please
let me know.  I would be particularly interested in locations, equipment,
frequencies, and the methodology used back in 1943,  I was only 4 years old at
the time but remember hearing the familiar opening to each report "This is
London."

Thanks for the bandwidth.

73,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ